It’s a dirty little secret in the American education system… Did you know that many teachers fund school supplies, craft materials and books from their own pockets? In a recent Forbes magazine article, “According to a recent survey on teachers’ spending behavior, SheerID – the leading teacher verification provider – and Agile Education Marketingidentified that teacher spending is up year-over-year going into the 2014 back-to-school season. Their study also identified that in the 2013-2014 school year, teachers in the United States have spent an average of $513 out-of-pocket on classroom supplies, instructional materials, books for their classrooms, and professional development.”
At Success Won’t Wait, we want to help support these teachers and their students. So this week, we once again partnered with Treasures for Teachers of Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania-based not-for-profit organization whose mission is to equip classrooms in under-supplied schools. Success Won’t Wait donated over 2,000 K-12th grade books to the group and our project total now stands at a whopping 8,500+ books!
If you are a teacher in need, how does Treasures for Teachers of Philadelphia work?
- At this time TFT donates to almost 1,000 preschool, elementary, middle and high school teachers in publicly funded educational settings: public schools, charter schools and HeadStart.
- If TFT is delivering off of your school campus, teachers must be present at drop‐off and will be asked to show a school identification badge or paystub. Sorry, no exceptions.
- TFT will be happy to drive the donations to your school or a public meeting location within an hour from Garnet Valley, PA. Please Google this location before reserving an item. If you are outside of this range, understand that you can meet TFT at our 1 hour mark.
- To see the items available, “Like” TFT on Facebook.
- Each donation lot is distributed on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in a lot, post your name and school in the comment section on the TFT Facebook page under the photo and message TFT with your contact info. The teacher who replies to the listing first will be contacted. If this teacher doesn’t send a message to TFT within 24 hours to arrange a drop‐off, the next person on the list will be contacted and so on.
- Because demand is high, each teacher can reserve 1 lot per month.
For more information, please visit Treasures for Teachers of Philadelphia.
Founded in 2002, Success Won’t Wait, Inc. is a 501c3 non-profit literacy organization based in Wilmington, Delaware. Want to learn more about Success Won’t Wait’s literacy projects, how to donate used books in Delaware, or volunteer your time? Click on the About Us tab to learn more.
Read now, because success won’t wait!