With back-to-school just around the corner, Success Won’t Wait got busy this week putting together a donation of over 750 books for Treasures for Educators (formerly Treasures for Teachers). Treasures for Educators is the Pennsylvania-based not-for-profit organization whose mission is to equip classrooms in under-supplied schools.
It’s a dirty little secret in the American education system. Many teachers fund school supplies, craft materials and books from their own pockets! In a recent Forbes magazine article, “According to a recent survey on teachers’ spending behavior, SheerID – the leading teacher verification provider – and Agile Education Marketingidentified that teacher spending is up year-over-year going into the 2014 back-to-school season. Their study also identified that in the 2013-2014 school year, teachers in the United States have spent an average of $513 out-of-pocket on classroom supplies, instructional materials, books for their classrooms, and professional development.”
If you are a teacher in need, how does Treasures for Educators work?
- At this time TFE donates to over 1,000 preschool, elementary, middle and high school teachers in publicly funded educational settings: public schools, charter schools and HeadStart.
- If TFE is delivering off of your school campus, teachers must be present at drop‐off and will be asked to show a school identification badge or paystub. Sorry, no exceptions.
- TFE will be happy to drive the donations to your school or a public meeting location within an hour from Garnet Valley, PA. Please Google this location before reserving an item. If you are outside of this range, understand that you can meet TFT at our 1 hour mark.
- To see the items available, “Like” them Facebook.
- Each donation lot is distributed on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in a lot, post your name and school in the comment section on the TFE Facebook page under the photo and message TFE with your contact info. The teacher who replies to the listing first will be contacted. If this teacher doesn’t send a message to TFE within 24 hours to arrange a drop‐off, the next person on the list will be contacted and so on.
- Because demand is high, each teacher can reserve 1 lot per month.
Founded in 2002, Success Won’t Wait, Inc. is a 501c3 non-profit literacy organization based in Wilmington, Delaware. Want to learn more about Success Won’t Wait’s literacy projects, how to donate used books in Delaware, or volunteer your time? Click on the About Us tab to learn more.
Read now, because success won’t wait!